Introducing the NEW TIFFEN 138mm VND
The NEW Tiffen patent pending 138mm rear matte box mounted Variable ND donut is a unique, versatile and flexible tool, affording you the convenience of using several Neutral Density filters in one unit. Primarily used as a photographic tool for controlling depth of field and exposure, the Variable ND concept of light control has migrated into the moving digital image market, due to its speed and ease of use. Designed to fit into the rear 143mm port of a bar mounted matte box, which is compatible by a wide variety of matte box manufacturers. This rear location is a perfect spot to place the unit, as the 138 VND requires a smooth surface to rotate within.
The unit fits into the rear of a bar mounted matte box that has a 143mm rear port.
On the outside of the ring are indexed markings for minimum and maximum settings. (Note: The evenly spaced indexing marks between MIN and MAX do not represent calibrated stops. They are to be used as a density reference only).
The VND is designed not to impact on a matte box’s original 138mm angle of view.
The 138mm Variable ND filter allows continuous control over the amount of light coming through the lens. This is approximately, 2 (ND 0.6) to 8 (ND 2.4) stops and is focal length dependent.
By rotating the 138mm ring between the index points, the light transmission is changed. The filter’s ability to reduce light is focal length dependent. We advise to check each lens for the maximum point at which either, edge vignetting or a visible “cross” occurs in the picture area.
A basic observation is that a wide-angle lens will see this effect sooner than standard and longer focal length.
- 138mm Matte Box Mountable VND (Includes a Rubber Donut & 114mm light prevention threaded rear ring)
- Up to 6-stops Tiffen VND* (Variable Neutral Density) with index markings (Focal length dependent) with a minimum of 2-stops going up to 8-stops. (ND.6 to ND2.4)
- The ultra-compact patent-pending design does not impact on the original field of view of a standard rear 138mm filter ring
- Tiffen 138mm VND fits directly into bar mounted matte boxes manufactured with a 143mm Ø rear filter ring port
- The Rubber Donut is supplied with a 114mm light prevention ring, which will accept ARRI® R2 compatible threaded reduction rings
- Compatible with matte box manufacturers including ARRI®, Bright Tangerine™, Movcam, Tilta, Vocas and many more.